Data Privacy and Confidentiality

Parents are often concerned about their child's educational records.  Common questions include:  What will  happen to records?  Where will they be stored?  Who will have access to them?  Who can read private information in the records?  How will evaluation information be used?

Record keeping in schools is guided by data privacy laws, copyright laws, federal anti-discrimination and education laws, professional organizations' ethical standards (e.g., the American Psychological Association, the National Association for School Psychologists) and the local policies and practices.  The laws that speak most directly to the protection of pupil information are the Family Educational Rights Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1997 (IDEA 1997).

Information that is considered public, or "directory," information is available on request for whoever requests it.  This includes information such as name, address, date of birth, school of attendance, and other such general information.  Parents can deny the release of this information. 

Information that is not considered "directory information" is called "private data."  This includes grades, report cards, test scores, health records, attendance patterns, and behavior records and notes.  Private data records are maintained in a secure location.  For example, special education files are kept in a locked file cabinet and in a separate room from children's cumulative academic records.  Health files are maintained in the health offices, and psychologists' files are kept securely.  Private data are only available to school staff who have a legitimate educational interest in knowing the information (i.e., need the information to do their job).  Third parties can access private data only with the written release of the parents or guardians.

Private data will only be discussed with those educational staff members who have a need to know the information.  Depending on the situation, such staff members may include classroom teachers, specialist teachers, playground monitors, lunchroom monitors, administrators, and building-level interventionists.  

For more detailed information about your child's educational records, talk to your child's classroom teacher, special education teacher, or the building's school psychologist.

Our Mission

The mission of O.H. Anderson Elementary, the joyful Zephyr family of curious, hard-working learners committed to empowering everyone to be better together, is to ensure all students discover their authentic selves and build bold learner agency to collaboratively and mindfully contribute in our world through a vital system distinguished by:

  • An inclusive and fun environment that honors the worth of the individual and connections with others
  • A culture that celebrates learning, passion, and personal excellence 
  • Teaching and learning that values the process of discovery and bold experimentation 
  • A culture that empowers authentic student voice, choice, and action for the greater good
O.H. Anderson Elementary School ISD #832
666 South Warner Avenue, Mahtomedi, MN 55115
Phone: 651-407-2300
Attendance Line: 651-407-2308
Our School
We believe in creating a safe and challenging learning community with the goal of bringing together social and academic learning throughout the day to foster and support engaged, caring, and responsible learners. Our dedicated teachers work with students to develop a growth mindset by providing learning opportunities that spark effort, curiosity, and engagement to fuel growth and achievement. Our school-wide Zephyr Time Celebrations, Morning Announcements, all-school River of Rocks art project, Fun Run, and Nature Trail Day are ways in which we build a strong sense of community. Whether it is programming robots, book clubs, math talks, cross-country skiing, or composing music, we are committed to providing an engaging and challenging education for all students.